March 24, 2017

At least 5 NECO candidates killed in Maiduguri

Suspected Boko Haram fighters have attacked yet another school in Borno state, a sect stronghold currently under a state of emergency. Reports have put the death toll between five and nine students who were killed when insurgents attacked Anasarudin, a private primary school in Jajeri ward in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. The Vanguard reports that the students were sitting for the National Examination Council, NECO, exams when the assailants struck on Monday. The newspaper reports five students killed, but AFP puts the death toll at nine. The attack on Tuesday comes after a series of attacks claimed by Boko ...

Read More →

U.S. designated terrorist, Boko Haram’s Adam Kambar, has been dead for over a year – JTF

A key member of the Boko Haram, Abubakar Adam Kambar, one of U.S. “Specifically Designated Global Terrorists” list, was dead long before he was identified a global terrorist. Lieutenant Colonel Mohammed Suleiman told journalists in Maiduguri that Kambar, a Borno state man in his mid-30s who was reportedly a liaison between Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and the Boko Haram, was killed during an operation on March 18, 2012. Joint Task Force spokesman, Lt. Col. Sagir Musa, also confirmed the report. What is not clear is why Kambar, along with Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau and another key insurgent Khalid ...

Read More →

JTF bans vendors and beggars from checkpoints in Yobe

Street food vendors and beggars will no longer be allowed to hang around security checkpoints in Yobe state, one of the three northeastern states under emergency rule. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the new law was revealed in a statement on Thursday. The statement, by Joint Task Force spokesman Lt. Eli Lazarus, urges street food vendors to keep their buying and selling restricted to “designated markets and other approved places for trading activities.” He said those found violating the ban “will be arrested and prosecuted”, the same goes for beggars around Damaturu and other major towns. There is ...

Read More →

JTF arrests 2, recovers 2 bodies from militants clash in Bayelsa waterways

Yenagoa (NAN) – The Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta, says it has arrested two suspects in connection with the recent clash between two armed groups in Lorbia 1 community, Southern Ijaw area, Bayelsa. The clash left eight persons dead. Media Coordinator of the JTF, Lt.-Col. Onyeama Nwachukwu, told reporters in Yenagoa on Wednesday that the task force was committed to restoring peace and sanity to the region. The JTF spokesman also said that operatives of the force had so far recovered two bodies from the creeks in addition to several items recovered during a search and rescue ...

Read More →

Uneasy calm in Bama town after 55 people are killed in Boko Haram violence

An eerie quiet has settled over Bama town in Borno state after a raid by Boko Haram insurgents on Tuesday claimed at least 55 lives, reports have said. The Joint Task Force confirmed that 22 policemen, 14 prison officials, two soldiers and four civilians – three children and a woman – were killed alongside 13 Boko Haram insurgents in a deadly daring attack staged by the sect. Armed with Rocket Propelled Grenades, the radical Islamist militants attacked the Bama police station, military barracks and government buildings. The gunmen freed 105 prisoners, according to JTF spokesman, Sagir Musa. The military spokesman ...

Read More →

JTF arrests 7 suspected Boko Haram gunmen, rescues four women

Nigeria’s military has said it arrested seven gunmen and rescued four female hostages on the outskirts of the Kano metropolis. Captain Ikedichi Iweha, spokesman of the Joint Task Force, told the Vanguard that the arrests were made during an early morning operation on Wednesday morning. The task force also recovered weapons from the gunmen, including one AK 47 rifle, 46 explosives and some electronics. The suspected Boko Haram gunmen are now in custody. Iweha said the raid and subsequent arrests were the result of intelligence gathering aided by members of the public and urged more citizens to come forward with ...

Read More →

Boko Haram: 5 civilians, 2 policemen killed in Yobe shootout

Spokesman for the Joint Task Force Lt. Eli Lazarus has confirmed seven deaths in a shootout between soldiers and Boko Haram extremists in Gashua, Yobe state. According to reports, five civilians and two security operatives were killed when Boko Haram militants attacked a police station in the fishing village. The extremists later attacked a prison. It is unclear if any inmates were freed. ...

Read More →

Baga Massacre: Satellite images contradict government reports, shows over 2,000 homes destroyed

Before and after images of Baga town captured by Satellite has revealed that 2,275 homes were destroyed during fighting between military and Boko Haram militants, discrediting government reports that downplayed the extent of the damage done in the commercial fishing village in Borno state. Human Rights Watch said soldiers “engaged more in destruction than in protection” in retaliatory attacks after Boko Haram fighters attacked a military patrol. The army is yet to comment on the latest visual evidence. The Defence Headquarters, in a report presented to President Goodluck Jonathan, said only 37 people were killed in the attacks, including 30 ...

Read More →

Baga massacre: Presidency says there’s “a lot misinformation,” claims only 30 insurgents killed

The Presidency, in a statement released shortly after receiving an official report from the Defence Headquarters on the Baga killings, has said only “30 terrorists were killed in action,” denying reports by media, local officials and residents that 185 people were killed in the fighting between Boko Haram insurgents and task force operatives. Dr. Reuben Abati, President Goodluck Jonathan’s aide on media and publicity, said in the statement that “a lot of misinformation” had been peddled about the incident, all of which was clarified by the Defence Headquarter’s “detailed” report submitted earlier today. Here are a few things Abati cleared ...

Read More →

Top Boko Haram commander killed in JTF operation

Nigeria’s military says they have killed a top Boko Haram commander, Mohammed Chad, who has been on the wanted list. The militant was killed in a shootout with by a combination of State Security Service and Joint Task Force operatives in Ruwan Zafi, in Maiduguri. Chad, who comes from Marte local government area in Borno, was wanted in connection with several sectarian killings, including the shooting of three students and four teachers at Sanda Kyarami Secondary School last month in March. JTF spokesman, Lt. Col. Sagir Musa said in Maiduguri last night that Chad was killed in an operation by ...

Read More →