It was more drama than music on Thursday night at the Muson Center in Lagos when Dave Okumu, lead guitarist for UK band, The Invisible, was electrocuted during a live performance on stage, disrupting the concert organised by the British Council.
The electrocution of the band member was caused by some equipment malfunction, reports revealed, adding that the lead guitarist is “doing fine” now.
British Council organised the exclusive concert, featuring the UK band and Nigerian music icon King Sunny Ade. The concert is meant to be a prelude to the BT River of Music, “a weekend of free music from across the 204 Olympic and Paralympic nations to be presented at iconic sites along the River Thames on July 21 and 22, 2012″.
According to reports, the band got on stage to perform, following a short panel discussion. Twenty minutes into the performance, during a stellar rendition of Blo’s “Preacher Man”, with talented producer Laolu Akins joining the band on stage to support on the congas, the accident occurred.
While the band waited for highlife singer Wizboyy to join them on stage, Okumu was electrocuted by the strings of his bass guitar. The lead guitarist screamed in pain and fell to the ground as his band mates pulled the guitar off him.
“I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,” a shocked guest was quoted by the NET as saying.
Reports said poor equipment set up and faulty power supply were to blame for the accident.
Though Okumu quickly recovered from the electrocution, guests were still in shock and were forced to leave disappointed as the incident brought the concert to an abrupt end.